May was quite the busy month. I had so much to blog about but no time to do it. Rather than attempt to write an entire post for each fun adventure we had this month, I’ll quickly summarize a few of them here. (Plus, the internet has been non-existent lately! Ugh!)
As you all know, we welcomed May in Greece. I’ve gotten to share a lot about our Greek adventures, but I never recapped our time in Athens! We visited the city several times. Here are a few pictures that capture some of the highlights.
With no American calendar to look at each day, Memorial Day kinda snuck up on me this year. We visited Joyce’s family on Saturday, and it wasn’t until that evening that I realized the reason for all the picnic and patriotic pictures on facebook! One family invited the Tenwek community to their yard for a bring-your-own-meat barbeque. The men grilled yummy chicken, hot dogs and hamburgers. The women provided side dishes. The kids played games. We all ate a lot of food!
Then, after we had sufficiently stuffed ourselves with picnic food, we enjoyed ice cream cones. Now, I know that doesn’t sound that special to all you Americans who can get ice cream and cones wherever and whenever you want. To us missionaries, this is a BIG DEAL! Aunt Theresa and a few helpers made homemade ice cream cones!! Let me tell you, you haven’t enjoyed ice cream until you’ve eaten it in a homemade cone!
Fine Arts Festival
We closed May with the Tenwek MK Fine Arts Festival. It’s the highlight of the school year here at Tenwek. We fill the Atrium with tables of food and lots and lots of artwork. Each student can display paintings, Lego creations, essays, self-portraits and whatever else they created during the school year. In addition, the students perform for us! The kindergarteners sang songs.
The sign language group signed “King Jesus” by Jeremy Camp in our honor. (It made me cry!)
Many kids sang songs, read essays, recited memory verses, and performed skits. The evening closed with a slideshow of the school year and a gift presentation to our MK school teacher. It was a great afternoon of amazing talent!
As we say “good bye” to May, we welcome June, the month we move closer to Nairobi in order to attend language school. I’ll try to post more information about that soon…As long as the internet cooperates!
Praises and Prayer Requests:
- Praise God for this wonderful community of believers at Tenwek! It’s such a blessing to be serving alongside so many wonderful missionaries.
- Praise God for the very uncooperative but very healthy baby growing in my womb. Despite many attempts, we still do not know its gender. (I’m 17 weeks, so it’s still a little early…BUT we really want to know!)
- Praise God for a very fun and successful school year! I am so proud of my boys. They have learned so much, thrived socially and academically, matured, and grew like weeds.
- Please pray for us as we pack up and move to language school! Yikes!
- Please pray for a special young lady in our lives. As she is preparing for her first trip to Africa, she found out that her mom has cancer. Please pray that God will give her peace and wisdom and clarity, that the Holy Spirit will fill her with Truth, and that she will put 100% of her trust in God. Of course, pray also for her mom.
- Please pray for Tenwek’s MK school. We are looking for a teacher for the 2014-2015 school year, and we’d appreciate your prayers to get one here. We have approximately 30 missionary kids at Tenwek next school year, so we moms need help.